Sony has been on the forefront of 3D technology, from having part of their E3 presentation in 3D to the recently announced
2010 FIFA World Cup schedule. We know that Sony is supporting 3D gaming, too, and they are releasing an update for the PS3 for it to support 3D movies and games. We also plan to look out for the new line of Bravia 3DTVs, the HX803, releasing in June.
For some strange reason, however, many consumers aren't ready to bite the 3D bullet, mainly due to the fact most people purchased an HDTV just after the switch to digital television. These nonsupporting slackers of technology have caused Sony to try a new promotion. They are giving away a collection of four games to anyone who purchases a new 3D Bravia TV during launch week. The games are
WipEout HD, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Pain, and Super Stardust HD.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe President Andrew House has this to say in a statement:
March 1st Activision let go IW heads Jason West and Vince Zampella claiming disloyalty and espionage among other reasons, for a refresher check out
To Infinity Ward, Activision, and Beyond!, but the loss in human resources doesn't stop there. Several more key IW members are following suit. Modern Warfare 2 lead designers Steve Fukuda and Zied Reike along with artist Chris Cherubini, and programmer Rayme Vinsion have taken their leave. Activision is also threatening to withhold bonuses offered to existing members of IW that leave before the lawsuits are settled but that doesn't seem to be carrying much weight because with these resignations the top 10% of IW is gone leaving the future of the development company uncertain. The ex-IW members have said little about their future plans but West and Zampella have created a new development studio called Respawn Entertainment who has decided to partner with, you guessed it, EA. The deal made with EA is a little sweeter for West and Zampella as they will have full ownership of intellectual property and exclusive rights to publish and distribute worldwide. In a recent statement Zampella said,
Respawn Entertainment marks a fresh start for Jason and me. For the past decade we led a great development team and poured our hearts into creating an epic game franchise. We're very proud of what we built-and proud that so many millions of fans enjoyed those games. Today we hope to do it all over again-open a new studio, hire a great team, and create brand new games with a new partner, EA.
Activision released a statement saying that they plan on continuing Modern Warfare with the leftover IW staff or anyone else they choose to work on it.
This agreement comes as no surprise to Activision given the myriad of improper activities detailed in the cross-complaint filed on Friday against Jason West and Vince Zampella. We look forward to continuing to work with Infinity Ward's deep bench of proven talent on exciting new projects.
I wish Activision luck in making future Modern Warfare games with the quality that the fans dedicated to the franchise have come to expect but even if they manage to it will never regain its former glory due to the treatment IW has received. Many newcomers and veterans of the franchise have probably already been chased away.
Hit the break to see who's left Infinity Ward so far.
Last week, in the Russian town of Tuapse, a 14-year-old boy killed his father because he wasn't allowed to play his videogame. As any normal American parent would do, the easy punishment for whatever the boy had done was to take away the game. Here we probably would have lost a controller or the power cord for the 360, there the father took away the computer keyboard. Then he went to sleep.
According to analysts, the Wii title
Red Steel 2 sold only 50,000 copies its first week. In comparison, the original Red Steel sold over a million. The game itself is good, abandoning everything that was wrong with the first game, and has received glowing reviews from critics and gamers, yet there have been nearly no sales.
There are a couple of possibilities as to why. The first being that the terrible gameplay of the first game killed any hope of success for this one. It was a Wii launch title, so everyone bought it because it was the only non-minigame disc available at the time. That doesn't indicate that they ever finished it, and if they did, were immediately jonesing for some more. The fact that the developers made so many changes indicates even they knew it was a terrible game.
You may have heard of the game entitled Transformers: War for Cybertron which takes place before Optimus and the gang come to earth to cause ear splitting explosions and other various hearing related problems. Well, it looks like something extremely interesting and cool is coming out of this story line. Given that the game is placed in a time where transformers have never really been seen this means that there is tons of room for customization! Now you are probably asking yourself, "But why would I customize my own Transformer?" The answer is simple my friends, because if you plan on playing Transformers: War for Cybertron online, you will get to create your very own Transformer! There are countless possibilities when creating your Autobot or Decepticon. You get to chose from four archetypes being: The Scout, The Scientist, The Leader, and The Soldier, all having different powers and specialties at their disposal to wage war against the other side. But wait there's more! Thanks to this ambiguity of the games setting you also have to choice of changing into a wide variety of vehicles not necessarily set in reality. You can be anything from a space tank, to a fighter jet if that is what you desire. Needless to say I am truly looking forward to getting my hands on this game come June 22nd. Look out Decepticons cause here comes PLuGBoT!
Hit the break to check out the game trailer
Activision and ex-Infinity Ward leads Jason West and Vince Zampella find themselves in a bit of a tiff after Activision filed a lawsuit alleging that West and Zampella went behind Activisions's back by talking to their closest competitor (supposedly EA) with regards to Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 3. Activision also alleges that they kept post-poning the pre-production work on the game to have more leverage in negotiations with Activision. The two were then fired March 1st. In the 23 page lawsuit filing Activision stated,